This Week’s Feature:
The Church of the Epiphany (COTE)
The Church of the Epiphany (COTE) has a history that goes back to the 1930s, when South Indian immigrants, who lived in Jalan Kayu and the Royal Air Force Base in Seletar, became a significant reason for her birth. Though situated along Jalan Kayu, Epiphany carries on the vision of her forefathers of reaching out to the communities in Ang Mo Kio, Jalan Kayu, Punggol, Seletar, Sengkang, Woodlands and Yishun.
Many speak of Epiphany as a “happy family” and, indeed she is!
Over the years, many have witnessed how God has faithfully led this vibrant worshipping church to grow and raise 9 full-time workers. Today, she has services conducted in English, Mandarin and Tamil.
Parish of Christ Church
Parish of Christ Church, the first Anglican Indian Church in Singapore, started from the Tamil Congregation of St Peter’s Church at Stamford Road in 1941.
Under the leadership of the late Revd Canon Samuel Baboo, a private school was set up in 1952 to help students who were affected by World War 2. This private school eventually became Christ Church Secondary School.
Today, Parish of Christ Church is a Tamil parish with Punjabi, English and Malayalam Services.
Church of the True Light (COTL)
Church of the True Light (COTL) attained Parish status in 1963. But, she has beginnings since 1911 when Miss Apple, a missionary of CEZ Missions sparked the idea to reach out to the Heng Hua community in Singapore. Revd Canon Guok Koh Muo responded to this call and started gospel meetings in a barber shop along Bencoolen Street.
COTL was once known as ‘The Trishaw rider Church’ as they actively shared the Gospel to trishaw riders, taxi drivers, bus conductors and neighborhood shop keeper and residents.
Over the years, COTL experienced several breakthroughs and has expanded from a congregation of Heng-Hwa speaking believers and a Chinese Church to include the Indian community, English and Indonesian-speaking groups.
Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church has a long history that goes back to 1902 when the missionaries from St Andrew’s Church Mission ministered to the Foochow and Hokkien-speaking people. The services were held at St Peter’s Church located at Stamford Road then. The Foochow congregation was granted Parish status in 1958, making them the first Chinese Church to become a parish in The Diocese of Singapore and Malaya.
The church building has a unique Chinese architecture which has been classified as a conservation site and has been included in the Jalan Besar Heritage Trail.
Through the years the parish has evolved to become a church with English and Mandarin congregations.
Chapel of the Holy Spirit
Chapel of the Holy Spirit, formerly Whampoa Christian Centre (WCC), began as an extension centre of Chapel of the Resurrection.
The vision to establish WCC was birthed from a Bible study group during the charismatic movement in the 1970s. When news of the church plant spread, a growing number of new believers joined WCC. Being a charismatic congregation, WCC was renamed as Chapel of the Holy Spirit (CHS). In 1986, she relocated to Potong Pasir.
Today, CHS is situated within St Andrew’s Village in Potong Pasir. CHS provides chaplaincy support to St Andrew’s Secondary School and has a whole range of activities to reach out to the Potong Pasir community.
CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION
Church of the Ascension started as a mid-week Holy Communion Service for staff and students of St. Andrew’s School after World War II. It was only in 1952 that this Service was renamed as Church of the Ascension (COA).
COA moved to its current site on Ascension Day in 1962. The church building is conserved as a national heritage building and is also known as the “church on the hill”. It was the place where residents of Potong Pasir sought refuge in the 1960s whenever there were floods.
Today, COA provides chaplaincy support to the students at Ascension Kindergarten, Little Seeds Preschool (Ascension) and St. Andrew’s Junior School. COA strives to be a light for Christ in Potong Pasir and the newly developed estate of Bidadari.
Chapel of the Resurrection (COR)
Chapel of the Resurrection (COR) was founded in 1979 with 80 members who would meet in the canteen of St Andrew’s Junior College at the then-campus at Malan Road. Under the leadership of her first Vicar, the late Revd Canon Dr James Wong, COR planted several churches including 5 local parishes and 2 congregations.
Today, COR, an intergenerational church is located at St Andrew’s Village in Potong Pasir and continues to provide chaplaincy support to the students and staff of St Andrew’s Junior College.
How You Can Be Part Of This:
Watch and share the video of the Parish Of The Week!
Remember to hashtag #ParishoftheWeek and tag us @dioceseofsingapore so that your friends can find out more!
If you are the featured parish, or part of the Area Group of the featured parish, find out from your Vicar how you can be part of the run!
We are all part of the same Body, let us pray for the needs of our parishes.